Sunday, August 5, 2012

Team Work

This week we had to think about team work we have been involved in. In my profession, team work is essential for young children and their families. I am a member of several teams and it was not hard for me to visualize myself working in a team. For this assignment, I have several questions to answer on team work :).


Consider the adjourning phase for several of the groups in which you have been involved. Think about which aspects of the groups made for the hardest good-bye. 
When a group adjourns, it essentially disbands or disassembles (O'Hair & Wiemann, 2009). When a group I'm involved with disassembles I have to admit some sadness. I feel a loss of the new friendships I have gained, a loss of the schedule/consistency a group gives me and I feel sad for the welfare of the children we were meeting on. I'm not keen on change so when a group adjourns the change does not settle well with me. 
  Are high-performing groups hardest to leave? Groups with the clearest established norms?  Which of the groups that you participated in was hardest to leave? Why?  
 High-performing groups are hard to leave because you know how hard you have worked for the best interest of the child. You also learn a lot about yourself and gain knowledge from the professionals involved in the group. I also find groups with clear, established norms hard to leave because of the level of professionalism and consistency they offer. These two groups are hard to leave equally in my opinion.
What sorts of closing rituals have you experienced or wish you had experienced?  
Usually, when a group disassembles there are a lot of well-wishers and phone numbers exchanged (e-mail addresses too). Sadly, the communication ends and follow up with the professionals is not consistent. My wish would be to establish a reunion of sorts. I would love to see my fellow group members in months or years to see the work they have accomplished and share ideas. 
 How do you imagine that you will adjourn from the group of colleagues you have formed while working on your master’s degree in this program? Why is adjourning an essential stage of teamwork? 
I imagine that I will do the same as I do when a team disassembles. I will wish them well with the hopes of communicating in the future. Perhaps I should make more of an effort to follow up--not just one e-mail or text, but several so my peer knows that I am serious with maintaining a relationship. Adjourning is so important because it allows your colleagues/peers to understand how you felt during the group work and how you will feel about the group/work you participated in. Groups allow us to feel important and special and who wants to lose that feeling!?!? 

Reference:
O'Hair, D. & Wiemann, M. (2009). Real communication: An introduction. Boston, MA: Bedford/St. Martin's.

No comments: