Sunday, June 26, 2011

Love of Reading

Reading is an important part of my life. When I had my little girl I made a point to read to her every night--I even read to her on her first night home! She enjoys this nightly ritual and luckily has many age appropriate books to choose from. I've been working with preschool children and their families for five years now and discovered that my daughter is lucky. She has parents who can read and who take the time to read. Sadly, I've learned some children have never been read to nor have one age appropriate book in their home. Is it because their parents are unable to read? If the parents are able to read, why aren't they reading to their child? Are they working too many hours? Do they not have the resources to obtain age appropriate books? Can I help???
So many questions....

4 comments:

Merve Solmaz said...

I really love reading very much. I read stories to my students to teach some basic vocabulary of the target language. They like listening to and then act out these stories. Some of them are lucky because they have parents reading books to them every night. But some are not that much lucky because they don't have parents reading to them. They just have nannies because of their parents' working hours. When they come home they find that their child has already gone to sleep:(

Unknown said...

Rebekah,

In my early learning center, I have seen too many children that go without seeing their parents for a majority of the week. The child is in the center from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM, leaving little time for reading or other activities to take place in the home. I think your reading routine with your daughter is providing her with a great foundation. Best of luck to you in your studies.

Unknown said...

Reading is fast becoming a lost art in many families for many reasons. I love computers and technology but they have become replacements for actually teaching a child to read. We have so many electronic devices that "read" to our children that most parents just don't bother.
The thing that continues to surprise me is the fact that so many children don't know simple nursery rhymes or how to play jacks, hula hoop, jump rope or hopscotch.

The Future Starts Today said...

Reading is a tool that should never be lost. To start reading so young and build up that routine is a great idea. Even though there could be picures in a book, every child has their owe perception on a story. I think reading should be including in every class room's daily duties. Great topic for your page.